Brenn

Brenn
Ladysmith beach day

Friday, May 14, 2010

Friday, May 14, 2010, Day 5

Brenn and I had a fairly good sleep last night considering the 4 bathroom breaks, the 2 times the nurses came in for her stats, and the blood test at 6:15 this morning. She wants us to sleep in the same bed with her now, because she is so scared.

Brenn ate lots of breakfast this morning, and seemed to have quite a bit of energy. She wanted syrup for her scrambled eggs, which seemed a little weird. They have told us that with one of the Chemotherapy drugs she will have some crazy cravings, I guess this will start happening more and more, at least she is finally eating.

Brenn had to have 2 needles this morning in her leg called asperiginase (not sure the spelling). I had the life skills therapist, Lisa, come in and help me talk to Brenn about it. Brenn is really upset with needles now, she has had so many over the past week it is crazy. I can't believe it has only been one week. It seems like months and months already with all of the changes that we have made.

Brenns morning went pretty well today, we were able to go down to the gift shop this morning which she has wanted to do for some time now. She was unable to go before because she was on morphine to help manage her bone pain, and had to be attached to on machine that made sure she had enough oxygen in her blood in case she stopped breathing. She really enjoyed her trip. When we got back to her room she was very tired, and unable to contain her emotions. We may have over done it, but it was the most joy and freedom she has had in over a week, so maybe it was worth it?

Any way, that's it for now.

It seems crazy that 1 week ago we found out that Brenn has cancer.......it's so strange to say that, it doesn't seem quite real. I keep thinking that if I say it often enough my brain will catch up and believe it or I will not feel like I'm running on autopilot anymore. I'm afraid that the day will come and I will not be prepared for it........that is my fear not being prepared for our new normal.

Brenn's afternoon and evening were full of ups and downs. She couldn't decide what she wanted to eat, after trying the hospitals fabulous version of over cooked, unseasoned poached salmon she had a few bites of chicken pot pie, and then wanted a bowl of brown sugar with a sprinkle of oatmeal, which turned into a battle of the wills as of course she was not allowed to have this. She finally settled on peaches, three slices of orange and then an apple before bed. Brenn is currently tucked in to bed sleeping soundly beside me tuckered out from a big day of needles, managing pain without the morphine, adjusting to a new ward, her trip downstairs and having Uncle James, Auntie Jamie and Cassandra stop by for a visit. On that note it's to sleep for me as well.

Good Night

No comments:

Post a Comment