Brenn

Brenn
Ladysmith beach day

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Getting to this a little late tonight, so I will be a little bit brief. We have had quite a slow few days since last Thursday in the hospital, in preparation for today. We left the hospital on Thursday with Brenns ANC (her immunity) at .41, anything lower than .5 in considered neutropenic and at a high risk of infection. We needed her ANC to be at .75 before we get her next dose of Chemo, and we knew, leaving the hospital that it was most likely still on the way down. At this stage of her treatment, we also knew that it would be really miraculous that it would come back up to .75 by today, but we were all really hopeful that it would. Brenn, Samantha, and I all walked to the hospital today, and had a really great time walking. It was a beautiful morning here, and we enjoyed the crispness of the fall morning. Brenn was having some difficulty walking today, her legs are really getting stiff, and her feet are starting to slap more when she walks, but she still wants to go as often as she can. We went up to the lab to get her blood work done, and then back to the clinic in order to see a couple of nurses, and the physiotherapist. We were in the clinic for about 45 minutes, and then received most of her blood counts. The ANC results did not come in with the first sheet, so the nurse and I discussed what we predicted, and agreed that we should stick around until the ANC came back in. The girls and I went to the cafeteria, bought some soup and sandwiches, and went directly back outside, firstly to avoid people, and secondly because it was a great day for a picnic. We had a nice leisurely lunch before heading back to the clinic. We waited another 20 minutes or so before the nurse informed us that we would in fact be delayed, and that we would have to come back in next Tuesday to do more blood work. Long story short, in one quick stroke we have extended our stay here in beautiful Vancouver by one more week. We of course have been anticipating (dreading) this eventuality, but we had hoped that we would be closer to the end than this. In reality, we really hadn't expected that we would be delayed this early. Most kids are not delayed for another week or two, but with the medicines that she will be getting over the next month, we still expect to be delayed from them. This break in no way changes how the next month is going to affect her. We are all still scared, and just wanting to be home for some home comfort, but I think that we are doing well. I have been having a hard time lately, but I have been feeling steadily better every day for the last little while. Christine told me the other day that negativity breeds negativity. I have been quite negative towards another person in RMH, as he and I do not see eye-to-eye, and with all of the stress involved in out day to day lives currently, we just cannot seem to get along. After Christine told me about my negativity, it gave me pause, and I stepped back from it. I am proud to say that last night, I actually talked some small talk with this person, and just breaking the ice between us, I think we both feel better. It took someone else to help me realize that I could change the situation if I wanted to, and it worked! I am quite sure that in the end of all this, I am not going to be this persons buddy, we have very different views on life, but getting through the rest of the time here without worrying about how this person is going to anger me next will help me in many ways I think.

Lynn and Leora Wilde went home today. They were our very close friends in the house. I am really sad that they are not here anymore, but I am truly happy that they were able to go back to Prince George. They have been here since December 30, 2009! They really deserve to go home. I am also really glad that they live in Prince George, and we will be able to carry on a close friendship once we get back home as well. It is really remarkable how close you can get to another family really quickly living here, and sharing a lot of the same feelings of pure terror, and pure unadulterated joy. We will miss having the Wilde family here every day, but having them not here is almost better than having them here simply because that means that things are good!

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment